[AI Seminar] Online AI Seminar on April 28 (Zoom) -- Hyun Soo Park -- Scaling Up Behavioral Imaging Using Many Cameras. AI seminar is sponsored by Fortive.

Aayush Bansal aayushb at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 21 13:56:58 EDT 2020

Hyun Soo Park (University of Minnesota) will be giving an online seminar on
"Scaling Up Behavioral Imaging Using Many Cameras" from *12:00 - 01:00 PM* on
April 28.

Zoom Link: *https://cmu.zoom.us/j/262225154
<https://cmu.zoom.us/j/262225154>*

CMU AI Seminar is sponsored by Fortive.

Following are the details of the talk:

*Title: *Scaling Up Behavioral Imaging Using Many Cameras

*Abstract: *Nonverbal behavioral signals such as gaze direction, facial
expression, and body gesture have been ingrained into our interpersonal
communications, which often appear at microscopic scale. Despite their
omnipresence in all aspects of social interactions, existing AI systems are
nearly blinded to them. In this talk, I will walk through our effort
towards enabling 3D behavioral imaging---a computational model that allows
precise measurements of microscopic social signals from numerous multiview
cameras. A key challenge is that social interactions inherently induce
self-occlusion, which fundamentally limits accurate 3D reconstruction from
the image streams. I will argue that associating semantic meaning with
geometry, e.g., holistic finger pose, provides a strong cue to predict the
missing data. To learn such visual semantics, I will introduce a new
large-scale human behavior dataset called HUMBI scanned by 107 HD cameras
at Minnesota State Fair. In the second part of the talk, I will discuss a
computational approach to measure free-ranging behaviors of monkeys for
neuroscience study. Unlike humans, these monkeys are challenging due to
lack of annotation data. To address this, I will introduce a
semi-supervised learning framework that leverages multiview geometry and
tracking to reconstruct their motion in 3D.

*Bio*: Hyun Soo Park is an Assistant Professor at the Department of
Computer Science and Engineering, the University of Minnesota (UMN). He is
interested in computer vision approaches for behavioral imaging. He has
recieved NSF's CRII and CAREER awards. Prior to the UMN, he was a
Postdoctoral Fellow in GRASP Lab at University of Pennsylvania. He earned
his Ph.D. from Carnegie Mellon University.

*Hyun Soo is available for one-on-one (virtual) meetings on April 28.
Please send me an email if you would like to schedule a meeting with him.*

To learn more about the seminar series, please visit the website:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/

--
Aayush Bansal
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aayushb/