[AI Seminar] Online AI Seminar on April 21 (Zoom) -- Animesh Garg -- Generalizable Autonomy in Robotics. AI seminar is sponsored by Fortive.

Aayush Bansal aayushb at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 16 07:55:09 EDT 2020

Animesh Garg (University of Toronto) will be giving an online seminar
on "Generalizable
Autonomy in Robotics" from *12:00 - 01:00 PM* on April 21.

Zoom Link: *https://cmu.zoom.us/j/262225154
<https://cmu.zoom.us/j/262225154>*

CMU AI Seminar is sponsored by Fortive.

Following are the details of the talk:

*Title: *Generalizable Autonomy in Robotics

*Abstract: *Data-driven methods in Robotics circumvent hand-tuned feature
engineering, albeit lack guarantees and often incur a massive computational
expense. My research aims to bridge this gap and enable generalizable
imitation for robot autonomy. We need to build systems that can capture
semantic task structures that promote sample efficiency and can generalize
to new task instances across visual, dynamical or semantic variations. And
this involves designing algorithms that unify learning with perception,
control, and planning. In this talk, I will show how inductive biases and
priors help with Generalizable Autonomy. First I will talk about the choice
of action representations in RL and imitation from ensembles of suboptimal
supervisors. Then I will talk about latent variable models in
self-supervised learning. Finally, I will talk about meta-learning for
multi-task learning and data gathering in robotics.

*Bio*: Animesh Garg is a CIFAR AI Chair Assistant Professor at the
University of Toronto and Vector Institute. He is also a Senior Research
Scientist at Nvidia. His research interests focus on the intersection of
Learning and Perception in Robot Manipulation. He works on efficient
generalization in large scale imitation learning. Animesh works on the
applications of robot manipulation in surgery and manufacturing as well as
personal robotics. Previously, Animesh received his Ph.D. from the
University of California, Berkeley and a postdoc at Stanford AI Labs. His
work has won multiple best paper awards and nominations including ICRA
2019, ICRA 2015 and IROS 2019, among others and has also featured in press
outlets such as New York Times, BBC, and Wired.

*Animesh is available for one-on-one (virtual) meetings on April 21. Please
send me an email if you would like to schedule a meeting with him.*

To learn more about the seminar series, please visit the website:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/

--
Aayush Bansal
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aayushb/