[AI Seminar] AI Seminar -- Priya Donti, Tackling Climate Change with Machine Learning

Han Zhao han.zhao at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Nov 10 18:39:38 EST 2019

Dear faculty and students:

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Nov. 12th, at noon in *NSH
3305 *for our AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the
seminar series,
please visit the website <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.
On Tuesday, Priya Donti will give the following talk:
*Title: *Tackling Climate Change with Machine Learning

*Abstract:* Climate change is one of the greatest challenges facing
humanity, and we, as machine learning experts, may wonder how we can help.
In this talk, I will describe how machine learning can be a powerful tool
in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and helping society adapt to a
changing climate. From smart grids to disaster management, I will describe
high impact problems where existing gaps can be filled by machine learning,
in collaboration with other fields. I will then describe some of my work in
this area, which incorporates electricity system domain knowledge into deep
network architectures to support low-emissions operation of the electric
grid.

*Bio: *Priya Donti is a Ph.D. student in Computer Science and Public Policy
at Carnegie Mellon University, co-advised by Zico Kolter and Ines Azevedo.
Her work lies at the intersection of machine learning, electric power
systems, and climate change mitigation. Specifically, she is interested in
creating novel machine learning techniques that incorporate domain
knowledge (such as power system physics) to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
from the electricity sector. Priya is a U.S. Department of Energy
Computational Science Graduate Fellow and co-chair of Climate Change AI, a
group of volunteers from academia and industry who believe in using machine
learning, where it is relevant, to help tackle the climate crisis.
--

*Han ZhaoMachine Learning Department*

*School of Computer ScienceCarnegie Mellon UniversityMobile: +1-*
*412-652-4404*