[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Yuexin Wu

Han Zhao han.zhao at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 17 14:43:19 EDT 2019

Dear faculty and students:

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Mar. 19th, at noon in *GHC 8102
(note the unusual location this time) *for our AI Seminar sponsored by
Apple. To learn more about the seminar series, please visit the website.
On Tuesday, Yuexin Wu will give the following talk:
*Title: Deep Learning for Epidemiological Predictions*

*Abstract*: Predicting new and urgent trends in epidemiological data is an
important problem for public health, and has attracted increasing attention
in the data mining and machine learning communities. The temporal nature of
epidemiology data and the need for real-time prediction by the system makes
the problem residing in the category of time-series forecasting or
prediction. While traditional autoregressive (AR) methods and Gaussian
Process Regression (GPR) have been actively studied for solving this
problem, deep learning techniques have not been explored in this domain. In
this paper, we develop a deep learning framework, for the first time, to
predict epidemiology profiles in the time-series perspective. We adopt
Recurrent Neural Networks (RNNs) to capture the long-term correlation in
the data and Convolutional Neural Networks (CNNs) to fuse information from
data of different sources. A residual structure is also applied to prevent
overfitting issues in the training process. We compared our model with the
most widely used AR models on USA and Japan datasets. Our approach provides
consistently better results than these baseline methods.
--

*Han ZhaoMachine Learning Department*

*School of Computer ScienceCarnegie Mellon UniversityMobile: +1-*
*412-652-4404*