[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Ivan Stelmakh -- Dec. 4th

Han Zhao han.zhao at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 3 12:42:22 EST 2018

Dear faculty and students:

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow, Dec. 4th, at noon in GHC 6115 for AI
 Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the seminar series, please
visit the website.
On Tuesday, Ivan Stelmakh will give the following talk:

*Title: PeerReview4All: Fair and Accurate Reviewer Assignment in Peer
Review*
*Abstract: *In this talk, we will focus on automated assignment of papers
to reviewers in conference peer review. In the first part of the talk we
will show that assignment procedure currently employed by NeurIPS and ICML
does not guarantee fairness. Optimizing the total quality of the assignment
over all papers, this procedure may discriminate against some submissions.
In contrast, we will present the assignment algorithm that maximizes the
review quality of the most disadvantaged paper, thus ensuring fairness. In
the second part of talk, we will discuss the parallel objective of accuracy
and show that under standard statistical model, our algorithm leads to the
minimax optimal accuracy of the final decisions. Finally, we will present a
novel experiment that allows for an objective comparison of various
assignment algorithms in terms of both fairness and accuracy, and overcomes
the inherent difficulty posed by the absence of a ground truth in
experiments on peer-review. The results of this experiment corroborate the
theoretical guarantees of our algorithm.
--

*Han ZhaoMachine Learning Department*

*School of Computer ScienceCarnegie Mellon UniversityMobile: +1-*
*412-652-4404*