[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Kirstin Early -- Nov. 13th

Han Zhao han.zhao at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Nov 11 21:05:26 EST 2018

Dear faculty and students:

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Nov. 13th, at noon in GHC 6115
for AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the seminar series,
please visit the website.
On Tuesday, Kirstin Early will give the following talk:

*Title: Towards a general purpose text representation for mail*

*Abstract: *There are many possibilities for using machine learning on
email to help users save time and accomplish their goals -- e.g., spam
classification, reply prediction, and message categorization. However,
building a separate model for each task is inefficient because each model
generates its own internal representation of messages. A general-purpose
representation could eliminate this redundant computation and be used for
many downstream tasks. We train encoder-decoder neural networks on
self-supervised mail tasks and generate representations of new mail
messages as the encoder output of these networks. Simple models for
downstream tasks can then be trained on the representations. We illustrate
this method on a pilot task of RSVP classification and find the
general-purpose representation performs similarly to a model built
specifically for this task.
--

*Han ZhaoMachine Learning Department*

*School of Computer ScienceCarnegie Mellon UniversityMobile: +1-*
*412-652-4404*