[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Hongyang Zhang -- May 01

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Apr 28 04:19:07 EDT 2018

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, May 01, at noon in NSH 3305 for
AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the seminar series,
please visit the AI Seminar webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Hongyang Zhang <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~hongyanz/> will give the
following talk:

Title: Testing and Learning from Big Data, Optimally

Abstract: We are now in an era of big data as well as high-dimensional
data: data volume is almost doubling every two years. Fortunately,
high-dimensional data are structured. Usually, they are of low rank. This
is the basis of dimensionality reduction and compressed sensing. To extract
efficient information from the low-rank structure without fully observing
the matrix, there are two questions to handle: 1. what is the true rank of
the data matrix with only small samples (testing problem)? 2. given the
rank of the matrix, how to design computationally efficient algorithm to
recover the matrix with only compressed observations (learning problem)?

In this talk, we will focus on the testing and learning problems regarding
the matrix rank with optimal sample complexity, which are new paradigms of
information extraction from the big data. In the first part of the talk, we
will see how we can test the rank of an unknown matrix via an interesting
ladder-shaped sampling scheme. We also supplement our positive results with
a hardness result, showing that our sampling scheme is near-optimal.

In the second part of the talk, we study the matrix completion problem.
Matrix completion is known as a non-convex problem in its most original
form. To alleviate the computational issue, we show that strong duality
holds for the matrix completion with nearly optimal sample complexity. For
the hardness result, we also show that generic matrix factorization
requires exponential time to be solved.

Based on joint work with Nina Balcan (CMU), Yi Li (Nanyang Technological
University), Yingyu Liang (Wisconsin-Madison), and David P. Woodruff (CMU).