[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Hieu Pham -- April 24

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 23 01:01:37 EDT 2018

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, April 24, at noon in NSH 3305 for
AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the seminar series,
please visit the AI Seminar webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Hieu Pham will give the following talk:

Title: From Neural Combinatorial Optimization to Automatic Machine Learning

Abstract:

Despite neural networks' impressive performance on many tasks, designing
efficient and deploying neural networks stands an arduous challenge. It
involves making a lot of discrete decisions, such as which models to use
and how to deploy such models. Automatizing these designs thus comes at a
great benefit. In this talk, I will show how one can view the task of
designing and deploying neural networks as a combinatorial optimization
problem. Then, I will discuss an application of deep reinforcement learning
(DRL) on a canonical combinatorial optimization task: the Traveling
Salesman Problem (TSP), which outperforms many existing heuristics.
Finally, I will connect the dots, showing that the same DRL approach on TSP
can be applied to automatize the process of designing and deploying neural
networks. Time permits, I will discuss the existing challenges and some
future directions in this line of work.