[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Ariel Procaccia -- Feb 27

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 24 07:04:17 EST 2018

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Feb 27, at noon in *NSH 1507* for
AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the seminar series,
please visit the AI Seminar webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday,  Ariel Procaccia <http://procaccia.info/> will give the
following talk:

Title: Extreme Democracy

Abstract:

Technological advances have changed every aspect of our lives in recent
decades, yet, for the most part, the same systems of democratic decision
making have been in place for centuries. I will argue that computer
scientists can help rethink the practice of democracy, as well as its
potential applications. I will focus on three emerging paradigms that go
far beyond your run-of-the-mill election: (i) liquid democracy, an approach
that allows voters to transitively delegate their votes; (ii) participatory
budgeting, whereby residents collectively decide how to spend their local
government's budget; and (iii) virtual democracy, which employs instant
elections among machine learning models of real voters to address the grand
AI challenge of ethical decision making.