[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Hanxiao Liu -- Nov 07

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Nov 4 07:13:58 EDT 2017

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Nov 07, at noon in NSH 1507
(unusual place) for AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the
seminar series, please visit the AI Seminar webpage
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Hanxiao Liu <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~hanxiaol/> will give the
following talk:

Title: Hierarchical Representations for Efficient Architecture Search

Abstract:

We explore efficient neural architecture search methods and present a
simple yet powerful evolutionary algorithm that can discover new
architectures achieving state of the art results. Our approach combines a
novel hierarchical genetic representation scheme that imitates the
modularized design pattern commonly adopted by human experts, and an
expressive search space that supports complex topologies. Our algorithm
efficiently discovers architectures that outperform a large number of
manually designed models for image classification, obtaining top-1 error of
3.6% on CIFAR-10 and 20.3% when transferred to ImageNet, which is
competitive with the best existing neural architecture search approaches
and represents the new state of the art for evolutionary strategies on this
task. We also present results using random search, achieving 0.3% less
top-1 accuracy on CIFAR-10 and 0.1% less on ImageNet whilst reducing the
architecture search time from 36 hours down to 1 hour.

This is joint work with Karen Simonyan, Oriol Vinyals, Chrisantha Fernando
and Koray Kavukcuoglu at DeepMind.