[AI Seminar] AI Lunch -- Han Zhao -- March 7

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 3 09:49:12 EST 2017

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you Next Tuesday, March 7, at noon in NSH 3305
for AI lunch. To learn more about the seminar and lunch, please visit
the AI Lunch webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Han Zhao <https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~hzhao1/> will give a talk
titled “Sum-Product Networks: A New Probabilistic Inference Machine”.

*Abstract:* Sum-product networks (SPNs) are new deep inference machines
that admit exact probabilistic inference in linear time in the size of the
network. In this talk I will establish some theoretical connections between
SPNs and traditional graphical models like Bayesian Networks (BNs).
Specifically, I will show that every SPN can be converted into a BN in
linear time and space in terms of the network size. The key insight is to
use Algebraic Decision Diagrams (ADDs) to compactly represent the local
conditional probability distributions at each node in the resulting BN by
exploiting context-specific independence (CSI). The generated BN has a
simple directed bipartite graphical structure. I will also discuss some
implications of the proof and establish a connection between the depth of
an SPN and a lower bound of the tree-width of its corresponding BN. I will
conclude the talk by discussing some algorithms for learning the parameters
of SPNs based on maximum-likelihood principle and Bayesian approaches.

This is joint work with Geoff Gordon, Mazen Melibari and Pascal Poupart.