[AI Seminar] AI Lunch -- David Kurokawa -- February 7

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 3 05:41:29 EST 2017

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you Next Tuesday, February 7, at noon in NSH 3305
for AI lunch. To learn more about the seminar and lunch, please visit
the AI Lunch webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, David Kurokawa <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dkurokaw/> will give a
talk titled “Fairness Notions in the Indivisible Good Setting: Comparisons
and their Approximations”.

*Abstract:*

Fair division of indivisible goods is the study of allocating a set of
discrete goods among several interested parties. Often in such settings a
desired allocation is hoped to satisfy some notion of fairness.  In this
talk we investigate several such notions studied in the literature: maximin
share guarantee (MMS), pairwise maximin share guarantee (PMMS), and
envy-freeness up to any good (EFX).

We begin by first defining MMS and exploring the pros and cons of it as the
benchmark for fairness in the setting. We then define PMMS and EFX and
demonstrate their potential as answers to these shortcomings of MMS. We
further demonstrate a hierarchical nature between these and relevant
notions from the literature --- namely envy-freeness (EF) and envy-freeness
up to one good (EF1) as well as give approximation existence results. We
close by examining the age-old method of drafting (such as in American
sports leagues) and show that there exist far fairer approaches to this
problem.

This is joint work with Ariel Procaccia and Junxing Wang.