[AI Seminar] AI Lunch -- Hoda Heidari -- January 24

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 20 15:27:56 EST 2017

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you Next Tuesday, January 24, at noon in NSH 3305
for AI lunch. To learn more about the seminar and lunch, please visit
the AI Lunch webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Hoda Heidari <http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~hoda/> from
 University of Pennsylvania will give a talk titled “Pricing a Low-regret
Seller”.

*Abstract:* As the number of ad exchanges has grown, publishers have turned
to low regret learning algorithms to decide which exchange offers the best
price for their inventory. This in turn opens the following question for
the exchange: how to set prices to attract as many sellers as possible in
order to maximize revenue. In this work, we formulate this precisely as a
learning problem, and present algorithms showing that simply knowing the
counterparty is using a low regret algorithm is enough for the exchange to
have its own low regret learning algorithm for the optimal price.

(Joint work with Mohammad Mahdian, Umar Syed, Sergei Vassilvistkii, and
Sadra Yazdanbod. Appeared in ICML'16)