[Intelligence Seminar] January 28, 3:30pm: , Presentation by David Sarne

Dana Houston dhouston at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 20 09:41:21 EST 2014

INTELLIGENCE SEMINAR
JANUARY 28 AT 3:30PM, IN GCH 6115

SPEAKER: DAVID SARNE (Bar-Ilan University)
Host: Ariel Procaccia
For meetings, contact Pat Loring (sawako at cs.cmu.edu
<mailto:sawako at cs.cmu.edu>)

UNKNOWING MORE - THE DOWNSIDE OF INFORMATION IN MULTI-AGENT SYSTEMS

In many multi-agent systems we find information brokers or information
technologies aiming to provide the agents with more information or
reduce the cost of acquiring new information. In this talk I will show
that better information can hurt: the presence of an information
provider, even if the use of her services is optional, can degrade both
individual agents' utilities and overall social welfare. The talk will
focus on two specific domains: auctions (where the provided information
relates to the common value of the auctioned item) and cooperative
information gathering (where costly information is shared between the
agents). For the first, I'll show that with the information provider in
the market, in conflict with classic auction theory, the auctioneer may
prefer to limit the number of bidders that participate in the auction
and similarly bidders may prefer to have greater competition. Also,
bidders' unawareness of the auctioneer's option to purchase the
information does not necessarily play into the hands of the auctioneer
and, similarly, bidders may sometimes benefit from not knowing that the
auctioneer has the option to purchase such information. For cooperative
information gathering I'll present three methods for improving overall
and individual performance, all based on limiting and constraining
information sharing. Along the talk we will also answer questions such
as: why bars use dim lights and loud music; ways that charities could
benefit from group buying; and why it makes sense to pay someone to
over-price information she wants to sell you.

BIO

David Sarne is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Computer Science
at Bar-Ilan University. He is also the head of the Intelligent
Information Agents (IIA) group. He joined Bar-Ilan in Oct. 2007; before
this he was a Post-Doc at Harvard University for two years, following
several years in the Israeli hi-tech industry. He holds a B.Sc. in
Industrial Engineering and an M.Sc. in Information Systems (both from
Tel-Aviv University) and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Bar-Ilan
University.