[ACT-R-users] Intro to Cognitive Modeling?

Marc Halbrügge marc.halbruegge at gmx.de
Thu Jan 5 05:34:40 EST 2017

Hi Coty,

I think this depends on the context and the intended area of application
(e.g., learning, problem solving, HCI).

In an course about cognitive modeling in HCI, I pointed my students to
Michael Byrne's chapter "Cognitive Architecture" in the Jacko+Sears
"Human-Computer Interaction Handbook".

Another option in this domain would be Wayne Gray's "Cognitive
architectures: Choreographing the dance of mental operations with the
task environment"

Greetings from Berlin,
Marc

@INCOLLECTION{Byrne2008-CognitiveArchitecture,
   author = {Michael D Byrne},
   title = {Cognitive Architecture},
   booktitle = {The Human-Computer Interaction Handbook: Fundamentals,
Evolving Technologies and Emerging Applications},
   publisher = {Lawrence Erlbaum Associates},
   year = {2008},
   editor = {Sears, Andrew and Jacko, Julie A},
   pages = {93--114},
   address = {New York, NY},
   edition = {2}
}

@ARTICLE{Gray2008-CognitiveArchitectures,
   author = {Gray, Wayne D},
   title = {Cognitive architectures: Choreographing the dance of mental
operations with the task environment},
   journal = {Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and
Ergonomics Society},
   year = {2008},
   volume = {50},
   pages = {497--505},