[ACT-R-users] How do I archive probabilistic production rule selection?

db30 at andrew.cmu.edu db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 30 08:58:16 EDT 2017

--On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:51 PM -0400 Kai Sauerwald
<kai.sauerwald at fernuni-hagen.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there a way to archive probabilistic selection of production rules in
> ACT-R?
>
> More concrete:  suppose two productions p1 and p2 with the same condition,
> how do I have to setup the rules and ACT-R such that p1 is selected with
> probability 0.3 and p2 selected with probability 0.7 in conflict resolution?

To do that you would need to set the utilities of those productions and the
utility noise value.  The equation that describes the probability of choosing
a production based on its utility, the utility of the competing productions,
and the utility noise is shown in unit 6 of the ACT-R tutorial.  Unit 3 of
the tutorial shows how to set fixed utility values using the spp command, and
the parameter for utility noise is :egs as shown in unit 6.  Unit 6 also
describes the process through which a model can learn those utility values
based on the rewards it is given.

Hope that helps,
Dan