[ACT-R-users] PARC Summer Internship: ACT-R models of changing health behaviors using smartphones

Peter.Pirolli at parc.com Peter.Pirolli at parc.com
Tue Jan 13 23:46:56 EST 2015

I have Summer Internship position at PARC for a graduate student in psychology or computer science who is interested in modeling how people acquire new healthy habits from interactions with a smartphone application (Fittle) that we are actively researching. The ideal candidate will be a grad student in psychology or computer science who has developed computational cognitive models (ACT-R preferably).

We are just starting to develop an integrated model based on ACT-R. The goal is to have this model be capable of probabilistic predictions of individual behavior change with fine-grained parameters associated with contexts of everyday life (as measured through the smartphone and possibly devices such as FitBit), and the health goals, attitudes, beliefs, knowledge, etc. of the individuals themselves, and AI-based coaching interventions. The cognitive model is expected to drive further development of a user model and intelligent coaching agent in Fittle. One way to think of this is as the next generation of intelligent tutoring system: intelligent coaching in the ecology of everyday life.

You can find out more about this project at:

https://blogs.parc.com/blog/author/peterpirolli/

and then there is a bit more about the Fittle  app itself (from a somewhat marketing bent) at

http://www.fittle.org<http://www.fittle.org/>

If you are interested, please send me an email along with a CV.

--Pete