[ACT-R-users] Goal Stack

Kelley, Troy D CIV (US) troy.d.kelley6.civ at mail.mil
Mon Jan 12 12:40:17 EST 2015

All,

Could someone out there remind me of the reasoning for getting rid of the
goal stack?

We have been using a goal stack with SS-RICS and have found it to be useful
for handling task interruptions.  So the stack is flexible and
interruptible.

If I remember correctly there was some question as to how the goal stack can
have perfect recall, so that if one goal is popped, the next goal is
automatically retrieved with no decay.

We have solved this by having activation associated with goals, so that
goals decay while they are on the stack.  This means that the goal might not
be perfectly recalled to the goal stack once the previous goal is retrieved.
This also duplicates the strange behavior of  - "walking into a room and not
knowing why you are there".  Because the goal of going to a room to find
some object has decayed while you were going to the room.

Any ideas on this?

Troy D. Kelley
RDRL-HRS-E
Cognitive Robotics and Modeling Team Leader
Human Research and Engineering Directorate
U.S. Army Research Laboratory
Aberdeen, MD 21005
Phone 410-278-5869 or 410-278-6748
Note my new email address: troy.d.kelley6.civ at mail.mil