[ACT-R-users] Applicarions using ACT-R?

Bonnie E John bejohn at us.ibm.com
Fri May 9 17:07:33 EDT 2014

Hi folks,
I'll be giving a short presentation about ACT-R to an internal group at IBM
next week and would like to highlight places where ACT-R is being used in
practical applications other than academic research.
I'll have time for just one slide on the theory, one slide on the variety
of scientific models, and one slide on real-world applications. I don't
want to miss anything in this third slide, hence this email.

   CogTool is obviouslya real-world application (though its not using much
   of the ACT-R theory) -- I won't forget that one! ;-)
   I was going to talk about cognitive tutors, because even though I don't
   think the things out of CarnegieLearning actually use ACT-R, the
   understanding of human learning that preceded the commercial product was
   obtained from ACT-R models (e.g., showing the learning at the production
   level, not problem-difficulty level). (Please jump in and tell me if I
   am wrong about this, Ken or Al or anybody.)

I'm looking specifically for any application where anyone is making any
money, or saving taxpayers money (for you government folks), or making
something safer in the real world (e.g., identifying fatigue or driver
distraction or whatever).

Thanks!
Bonnie