[ACT-R-users] Ref for empirical tests of cognitive models by predicting task difficulty

Peter.Pirolli at parc.com Peter.Pirolli at parc.com
Tue Apr 29 13:21:24 EDT 2014

The Kieras & Bovair work I remember dealt with learning to fire the Starship Enterprise phaser bank. Here are a couple of references.

Kieras, D. E., & Bovair, S. (1984). The role of a mental model in learning to operate a device. Cognitive Science, 8, 255-273.

Kieras, D. E., & Bovair, S. (1986). The acquisition of procedures from text: A production system analysis of transfer of training. Journal of Memory and Language, 25, 507-524.

Those papers may have initiated the thread of "identical elements" production system models of transfer that included the Singley & Anderson book

Singley, M. K., & Anderson, J. R. (1989). Transfer of cognitive skill. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

I did a paper based specifically on predicting error rates based on such models, and somewhat inspired by the Kieras & Bovair work on mental models

Pirolli, P. (1991). Effects of examples and their explanations in a lesson on recursion:  A production system analysis. Cognition and Instruction, 8, 207-259.

I'm not sure how you want to draw the line between measurement and prediction, but here's a paper on combining objective measurement with production system representations to objectively measure difficulty and ability for individual skills in the Lisp Tutor

Pirolli, P., & Wilson, M. (1998). A theory of the measurement of knowledge content, access, and learning. Psychological Review, 105, 58-82.

On Apr 29, 2014, at 9:46 AM, Susan Chipman <susan.chipman at gmail.com<mailto:susan.chipman at gmail.com>>