[ACT-R-users] Ref for empirical tests of cognitive models by predicting task difficulty

Susan Chipman susan.chipman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 12:46:05 EDT 2014

         A name has come to mind that is probably the name of the ETS
researcher I mentioned to Ken re efforts to predict the difficulty of math
test items -- Isaac Bejar (pronounced Behar).  Probably there were other
such efforts at ETS for obvious reasons.  However, that work did not
involve cognitive modeling.
          Frank Ritter's response reminded me that David Kieras (quite
possibly in collaboration with Bovair) did some very impressive work on
transfer of training operational procedures for a mythical machine.  Very
precise prediction of learning times in relation to order of training and
overlapping production rules was achieved.  I used graphs showing these
results in briefings at ONR to impress the physical scientists and
engineers that we really were doing SCIENCE.

Susan Chipman