[ACT-R-users] Ref for empirical tests of cognitive models by predicting task difficulty

Ken Koedinger koedinger at cmu.edu
Mon Apr 28 09:49:54 EDT 2014

I'm looking for references for the following statement and figure the
ACT-R community may have some:

"One way to empirically evaluate the quality of a cognitive model is to
test whether it can be used to accurately predict differences in task
difficulty."

I'm particularly interested in references to models that predict error
rates (but reaction time prediction is ok too) across a number of
related tasks.  Models that predict errors at steps in tasks and/or
specific strategy or error differences are even better.  One such
reference is our own tech report below -- see constraint C3 in Table 1.

Koedinger, K.R., & MacLaren, B. A. (2002).Developing a pedagogical
domain theory of early algebra problem solving.CMU-HCII Tech Report
02-100.[PDF
<http://pact.cs.cmu.edu/koedinger/pubs/Koedinger,%20McLaren%20.pdf>]

Others?  Including your own work?

Thanks!