[ACT-R-users] doctoral student position (decision sciences and bounded rationality) at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland

Marewski, Julian marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de
Tue Sep 13 03:24:47 EDT 2011

Dear all:

Apologies for cross-postings.

Please pass this on to potentially interested candidates and/or
corresponding mailing lists.

Candidates interested in a different arrangement (e.g., visiting
position with a limited time range) are invited to contact me directly.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Julian

The Department of Organizational Behavior of the Faculty for Business
and Economics at the University of Lausanne seeks applicants for

Doctoral Student Fellowship in Decision Sciences and Bounded Rationality

The position (60%) is to begin October 1st, 2011 or on a later date to
be mutually agreed upon. The contract is limited to 1 year, and can be
prolonged for 2x2 years. The maximum funding period is 5 years.
Successful candidates will obtain a Ph.D. in Management. The work
location is Lausanne Dorigny.

Job description

We seek applicants to work on the cognitive modeling of decision making
processes and bounded rationality. We expect Ph.D. candidates to publish
their research in top-tier journals.

Requirements

Applicants should be interested in the mathematical or computational
modeling of human cognitive decision processes as well as in the
cognitive mechanisms underlying bounded rationality. Knowledge of
quantitative research methods, and ideally, programming skills (e.g.,
MATLAB, R, ACT-R) is helpful but not required. A university degree in
psychology, business, economics, mathematics, computer sciences,
physics, biology, or another quantitatively-oriented discipline as well
as very good English skills are required.

Research on bounded rationality addresses a key question: How do humans
(and other animals) make decisions under uncertainty, that is, when time
and information are limited and the future is unknown? In an uncertain
world, humans often rely on simple cognitive strategies, that is,
heuristics, when making decisions.  The research on bounded rationality
is concerned with designing models of these heuristics and with
investigating the environments in which they are successful. Using human
subject experiments, computer simulations, and mathematical analyses,
these heuristics can be tested, and questions addressed such as when and
why heuristics perform well. The descriptive question of how humans make
decisions in an uncertain world is thereby extended to a normative
question: How should we make decisions (e.g., in businesses) if an
optimal decision is out of reach?

Application materials and deadline

Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

Applications include  a cover letter describing research interests and a
potential thesis project, curriculum vitae, university transcripts, two
letters of recommendation, previous work transcripts (if available), and
up to two publications (if available). The preferred method of
submission are PDF files e-mailed to the responsible professor, Julian
Marewski (marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de
<mailto:marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de> ).

The Department of Organizational Behavior and Lausanne

The Department of Organizational Behavior of the Faculty for Business
and Economics at the University of Lausanne provides a stimulating,
interdisciplinary research environment. We value the diversity of the
expertise of the members of the department (we have Ph.D.s in business,
management, psychology, and economics) as well as the diversity of the
departments at the Faculty of Business and Economics. We publish in
top-tier journals in different disciplines, including Science,
Psychological Review, and the American Economic Review. Our department's
members come from different countries, and the working language of the
department is English.

Located near Lake Geneva and surrounded by the Jura Mountains and the
French Alps, Lausanne is a beautiful and cosmopolitan spot to live and
work. We have a collegial atmosphere that makes it easy for us to carry
out our research.

Information about the Department of Organizational Behavior is available
at
http://www.hec.unil.ch/hec/recherche/unite?set_language=en&unite_id=239&
cl=en
<http://www.hec.unil.ch/hec/recherche/unite?set_language=en&unite_id=239
&cl=en>  . Information about the University of Lausanne's Ph.D. program
can be found at
http://www.hec.unil.ch/hec/doctorats/phdmanagement/why/welcome
<http://www.hec.unil.ch/hec/doctorats/phdmanagement/why/welcome> .
Information about Julian Marewski's research can be found at
http://www.mpib-berlin.mpg.de/en/staff/julian-marewski
<http://www.mpib-berlin.mpg.de/en/staff/julian-marewski> . More
information about the position can be inquired directly from Julian
Marewski (marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de
<mailto:marewski at mpib-berlin.mpg.de> ).

Disclaimer: This is not an official job ad from the University of
Lausanne. The official ad will be posted shortly.