[ACT-R-users] Motor error in manual module?

Bonnie John bej at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 3 15:33:13 EST 2011

I didn't account for or even really explain errors in my thesis - I just
said those (hitting the key next to the one you want) would probably be
in the motor system. However, you will find a citation to better
references about what proportion of errors are inclusion (usually the
key next to what was being pressed, short inter-key time) and omission
errors (usually not pressing the key hard enough, long inter-key time).

This does remind me of the work done at Google and NASA Ames modeling
errors in clicking on tabs in Firefox. They estimated pointing errors.
It was CORE, not ACT-R, but it might help you.

Knight, A., Pyrzak, G., & Green, C. (2007). When two methods are better
than one: Combining user study with cognitive modeling. In M.B. Rosson
and D.J. Gilmore (Eds.): Extended Abstracts of the 2007 Conference on
Human Factors in Computing Systems CHI 2007, (pp. 1783-1788). San Jose,
CA: ACM.
http://hci.arc.nasa.gov/pages/KnightPyrzak&Green07_CHI.pdf