[ACT-R-users] Need for Multi-Level Activation Spread in ACT-R

db30 at andrew.cmu.edu db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 14 15:13:12 EDT 2009

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but are the existing
hooks for the spreading activation mechanism insufficient for trying
out something else?

There is no constraint that chunks must have a direct association
for there to be an Sji between them.  They only get one by default if
there is, but one can be set explicitly between arbitrary chunks using
the set-sji command or by using the :sji-hook if you want to compute the
values on the fly instead of in advance.

If that doesn't work, then you can also just replace the entire
spreading activation mechanism by using the :spreading-hook parameter
if you want something completely different.  That hook will short
circuit the whole spreading computation and let you return any value
to add into the activation of the chunk without affecting the other
components of the activation equation.

To go along with the declarative hooks, it's also possible to add extra
parameters to chunks to hold any additional information you might need
with the extend-chunks command.  So, you could keep tables of connections
or other data you need without having to store it in slots of chunks.

I think those hooks and commands provide a fair amount of flexibility for
experimenting with new or modified mechanisms, but if there's something
else you feel is necessary let me know.

Dan

--On Monday, September 14, 2009 1:45 PM -0400 "Ball, Jerry T Civ USAF AFMC