[ACT-R-users] DM Retrieval Request and chunk-type hierarchy/subtype/supertype

db30 at andrew.cmu.edu db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 27 15:16:24 EDT 2009

--On Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:24 PM -0400 "Stu @ AGS TechNet"
<stu at agstechnet.com> wrote:

> All,
>     I have been looking for a detailed discussion of how a retrieval
> request "+retrieval>" functions for chunk-type supertype matches (or
> subytpe matches).
>     I have not been able to find any such discussion (in archives,
> tutorials, or reference manual).
>     Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
>     My questions are:
> Thank you,
> Stu

It looks like your specific questions got clipped, but there's not
really anything special about it so hopefully this general info
will help.

To be retrieved, a chunk must be a subtype of the chunk-type specified
in the retrieval request (a chunk-type is considered to be a subtype of
itself).  That's basically all there is to it.  There is no penalty or
bonus to the activation of the possible matches based on the specific
chunk-type of a chunk in the retrieval set.

For more details of the matching you can look at the match-chunk-spec-p
and find-matching-chunks commands in the reference manual.  Essentially,
the declarative module uses find-matching-chunks with the default testing
functions and the set of all chunks in DM to determine which chunks are a
match.

Hope that helps,
Dan