[ACT-R-users] New publication

ion juvina ijuvina at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 29 11:56:40 EDT 2009

Colleagues:

I am pleased to announce a new publication that might be of interest
to you and your students:

Juvina, I., & Taatgen, N. A. (2009). A repetition-suppression account
of between-trial effects in a modified Stroop paradigm. Acta
Psychologica, 131(1), 72-84.

Abstract

Theories that postulate cognitive inhibition are very common in
psychology and cognitive neuroscience (e.g., Hasher, Lustig, & Zacks,
2007), although they have recently been severely criticized (e.g.,
MacLeod, Dodd, Sheard, Wilson, & Bibi, 2003). This paper poses and
attempts to answer the question whether a research program with
cognitive inhibition as its main theoretical assumption is still worth
pursuing. We present a set of empirical data from a modified Stroop
paradigm that replicates previously reported findings. These findings
refer to between-trial effects previously described in the literature
on Stroop, negative priming, and inhibition-of-return. Existing
theoretical accounts fail to explain all these effects in an
integrated way. A repetition-suppression mechanism is proposed in
order to account for these data. This mechanism is instantiated as a
computational cognitive model. The theoretical implications of this
model are discussed.

Please follow the link below to download the article:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actpsy.2009.03.002

If your institution does not have access to this journal, please feel
free to email me for a free reprint.

Sincerely,

Ion Juvina,

Department of Psychology