[ACT-R-users] experiments to validate behaviour of a cognitive model

Florian Frische Florian.Frische at offis.de
Tue Sep 16 07:36:24 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I would like to ask you about the amount of experimental data in order to
validate a model's behaviour.
I think there are several parameters that have an effect on the amount of
data (suspects, trials) that is needed.
The following 2 examples should help to describe what this question is
about:

Example 1: Let's say we have a 2-armed bandit that always returns -1 on
the one arm and 1 on the other arm. We Would like
to validate the behaviour of our model towards the behaviour of gamblers
(The strategy that they use to maximize the overall outcome)

Example 2: We have a complex flight task where a pilot has to avoid a
thunderstorm. We would like to validate the behaviour
of our pilot model in this task towards real pilots behaviour.

It is obvious that example 1 is less complex than example 2 and I think
that we need much more experimental data to get reliable results
for the second example. I suppose there is a relationship beetween task
complexity (e.g. independent variables) and the number of suspects/number
of trials.
But how can I assess how many suspects/trials I need (How many
participants and how many repeats)?

Thanks a lot for participating in this discussion,

Florian Frische

OFFIS
FuE Bereich Verkehr | R&D Division Transportation
Escherweg 2 - 26121 Oldenburg - Germany
Phone.: +49 441 9722-523
E-Mail: florian.frische at offis.de