[ACT-R-users] model validation

Niels Taatgen taatgen at cmu.edu
Sun Sep 14 06:34:51 EDT 2008

Hi Fehmida,
I am not sure whether I fully understand your question, but let me try
to answer what I think you are asking.
First of all, there are no really good metrics to compare model fits
to experimental data, I have published papers without mentioning any.
Correlation and SD give some indication, and you might list them for
completeness, but I often find them quite uninformative (in the sense
that the graph that compares model and data gives much more
information).
In general it is not a good idea to apply statistics like Anova to
model results. Some people run as many model simulations as they had
subjects, and apply the same statistics. It is much better though to
just run the model as often as possible. I agree with Rick (whose
reply I just saw coming in) that a replication of the experiment is a
good sanity check. Or even better: a prediction for a slightly
different experiment.
Niels
On Sep 14, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Fehmida Hussain wrote:

> Sorry for reposting, I was desperately looking for some advice on
> this:
>
> hi all,
>
> I have a query regarding model validation.
> I have implemented a few ACT-R 6 models of attentional networks
> simulating
> experimental studies. I have human data available to validate my
> model. the
> human study itself uses statistics like ANOVA to determine
> significane of
> the conditions and interactions between variables.
>
> Is is sufficient (from the point of view of model validation ) for
> me to
> just use Correl and SD to validate the model results against the
> human data
> or is it better to repeat the statistical test to show the same
> significane? What will be considered better from the point of view of
> defending my thesis?
>
> thanks
> Fehmida

Niels Taatgen - University of Groningen, Artificial Intelligence
Also (but not now) at:
Carnegie Mellon University, Psychology, BH 345B
web: http://www.ai.rug.nl/~niels     email: taatgen at cmu.edu
Telephone: +1 412-268-2815 (CMU) +31 50 3636435 (RUG)