[ACT-R-users] Cognitive/Associative layer and signs/symbols

Looije, R. (Rosemarijn) rosemarijn.looije at tno.nl
Mon Sep 8 03:23:15 EDT 2008

Dear all,

In a project we are trying to explicitly stick to the SRK framework of
Rasmussen in the implementation of a cognitive model. Rules and
knowledge are going to be implemented at first. The associative layer
will use signs (e.g. bread) while the cognitive layer will use symbols
(e.g. food). Both symbols and signs are stored in the memory. Now we
think of implementing a translator, which is conceptually part of the
memory, that translates signs to symbols and vice versa. The signs and
symbols will probably be represented in a semantic network.

Furthermore, we have the idea of activating goals in the memory
depending on new symbols and sending the activated goals to the
cognitive layer that can reason about which goal to choose based on for
instance priorities. When in a goal hierarchy a procedure is reached the
cognitive layer passes the goal to the associative layer, which then
tries to reach the goal. If information is missing to succeed in the
goal the associative layer asks the cognitive layer for this
information. For example: the cognitive layer has passed the goal "land
the plane" to the associative layer, but the information about where to
land is not unambiguously present in the memory, so it asks the
cognitive layer to get the "where" information. The cognitive layer than
asks the memory for a list with signs (Rome, Zurich, Washington) of
landing spots (symbol) and reasons about the best spot according to some
specifications and current context. The best spot is given back to the
associative layer that can complete its goal to land.

We are very interested in your ideas on this, the cognitive plausibility
and perhaps literature and example programs that describe similar
implementations to crystallize our ideas further.

Kind regards,

Rosemarijn Looije

------------
Rosemarijn Looije, M.Sc.
TNO Defence, Security and Safety - Human Factors
Department Human Interfaces
P.O.Box 23, 3769 ZG Soesterberg, The Netherlands
E-mail: rosemarijn.looije at tno.nl
Phone:  +31 (0)346 356 370
Fax:    +31 (0)346 353 977

TNO | Knowledge for business