[ACT-R-users] New publications

Wayne Gray grayw at rpi.edu
Sun Mar 26 11:50:08 EST 2006

I am pleased to bring Wai-Tat's newest publication to the attention
of the ACT-R community.

This is now available, on-line, from Science Direct, Elsevier, and
all of the other usual sources.

Wayne

Fu, W.-T., & Gray, W. D. (2006). Suboptimal tradeoffs in information
seeking. Cognitive Psychology, 52(3), 195-242.

Explicit information-seeking actions are needed to evaluate
alternative actions in problem-solving tasks. Information-seeking
costs are often traded off against the utility of information. We
present three experiments that show how subjects adapt to the cost
and information structures of environments in a map-navigation task.
We found that subjects often stabilize at suboptimal levels of
performance. A Bayesian satisficing model (BSM) is proposed and
implemented in the ACT-R architecture to predict information-seeking
behavior. The BSM uses a local decision rule and a global Bayesian
learning mechanism to decide when to stop seeking information. The
model matched the human data well, suggesting that adaptation to cost
and information structures can be achieved by a simple local decision
rule. The local decision rule, however, often limits exploration of
the environment and leads to suboptimal performance. We propose that
suboptimal performance is an emergent property of the dynamic
interactions between cognition and the environment.