[ACT-R-users] Emotions, Attention and Consciousness

Hiran Ekanayake hiran.ekanayake at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 10:48:38 EST 2006

Hi,

I observed that we remember only the things that we had attention
towards it. For instance, when you are listening to a song very much
tuned to the sound, you may not retain any memory about other things
happening around you, even if your eyes see the things.

My readings suggest me that emotions provide a summary appraisal of
one's problem-solving situation, and they can help someone to lead to
his goals without being lost in thought. My question is, if a
student's goal is to follow a lesson and if the instructor is smart
enough to capture the current emotional state of the student and
influence on them, controlling the emotional state of the student, can
the instructor lead the student to achieve the goal?

What is the difference between attention and consciousness? Does
consciousness represents many attentions? for example some musicians
and can play many instruments at the same time. Is it the summary
appraisal the musician is experiencing?

Can anyone help me to find explanations for the above?

Thanks in advance,

Hiran Ekanayake
University of Colombo