[ACT-R-users] Symbolic and Sub-Symbolic Nature

Hiran Ekanayake hiran.ekanayake at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 06:22:21 EDT 2006

Hi all,

My apologies for disturbing you by posting general questions all the way.
Anyway I guess someone would help me to clarify following facts within the
scope of ACT-R.

Can symbolic and sub-symbolic knowledge in ACT-R influence each other? What
I mean is that is it possible to modify sub-symbolic level knowledge by
execution of productions (I haven't yet studied how emotions are modeled in
ACT-R and I am little more wondering of how enzymes doing their job).
Further, can sub-symbolic knowledge transformed to symbolic knowledge with
the time? (profile based, context sensitivity)

In general, if you are considering both symbolic and sub-symbolic levels,
can we say that thought atoms are not just passive objects, but they
describe some form of force-fields around them like real atoms have in
addition to its content, so that we have to consider a frame of reference.

Thank You,

Hiran Ekanayake
Department of  Computation and Intelligent Systems
University of Colombo School of Computing
Colombo, Sri Lanka.

http://www.geocities.com/hekanayake/