[ACT-R-users] Production selection

Andrea Macklem macklem at oakland.edu
Wed Mar 3 13:17:00 EST 2004

Hello everyone,

I am new to this mailing list and to working with ACT-R
models.  I am a master’s student doing my research in
validation and verification techniques for cognitive models.
I have decided to write my own model to reference in my paper
for illustration of my V&V methods.   This is where my
question comes in.

I have a question regarding a model I am creating to solve
the Tower of Hanoi problem.  At one point I have three
productions (with the same utility) that can be fired.  I
would like the selection of the production to be random
(since all three have equal utilities at this point).
However, when I step through my model it always selects the
first production to fire each time.  How can I make the
selection between the three completely random?

Any pointers to help achieve this randomness would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrea Macklem
Oakland University