[ACT-R-users] different base level activations

Wolfgang Schoppek Wolfgang.Schoppek at uni-bayreuth.de
Mon Jan 12 04:41:33 EST 2004

Hello Sarah,
of course, there are allways possibilities to force ACT-R doing
something you want it to do. But keep in mind that ACT-R 5.0 is the
implementation of a theory - and if you change the standard
assumptions a lot, you leave the empirically well established ground
of the theory. Manipulating the baselevel of chunks at the time of
their creation depending on their type seems to be something that
needs careful justification. And it introduces new (hidden) parameters.
  I remember work done by Erik Altmann where new chunks are assumed to
be rehearsed to a certain threshold (which appears to resemble what
you want). I think it is documented in the following papers:

Altmann, E. M. (2002).  Functional decay of memory for tasks.
Psychological Research, 66, 287-297.

Altmann, E. M. & Gray, W. D.  (2002). Forgetting to remember: The
functional relationship of decay and interference. Psychological
Science, 13, 27-33.

  Dr. Wolfgang Schoppek          Universitaet Bayreuth
  Tel.: +49 921 554140
  http://www.uni-bayreuth.de/departments/psychologie/schoppek/