[ACT-R-users] computational basis of act-r

Robert L. West robert_west at carleton.ca
Mon Jan 20 09:26:25 EST 2003

by way of clarifying the distinction between symbolic systems, dynamic
systems, neural nets, and ACT-R, West & Lebiere (2001) presents a discussion
of this issue and a dynamic systems model of a symbolic system constructed
using neural networks. Lebiere & West (1999) presents an ACT-R model that
produces the same dynamic properties as the neural network model. For more
general discussions on this, Bechtel and Clark are excellent.

cheers
Robert

Bechtel, W. (1998). Representations and cognitive explanations: Assessing
the dynamicist's challenge in cognitive science. Cognitive Science, 22(3),
295-318.

Clark, A. (1997). Being there: Putting brain, body and world together again.
Cambridge,
MA: MIT Press.

Clark, A. (1998). The dynamic challenge. Cognitive Science, 21 (4), 461-481.

Clark, A. (1999). Where brain, body, and world collide. Journal of Cognitive
Systems
Lebiere, C., & West, R. L. (1999). Using ACT-R to model the dynamic
properties of simple games. The Proceedings of Cognitive Science.

West, R. L., & Lebiere, C. (2001). Simple games as dynamic, coupled systems:
Randomness and other emergent properties. Cognitive Systems Research, 1(4),
221-239.

Dr. Robert L. West
Department of Cognitive Science
Department of Psychology (send snail mail here)
Carleton University