[ACT-R-users] computational basis of act-r

Chipman, Susan CHIPMAS at ONR.NAVY.MIL
Tue Jan 14 15:47:42 EST 2003

    I suspect that his/her ideas about the brain will soon prove
outdated.  More importantly, a theory does not have to be a precise
imitation of a real system in order to be a good theory.

Susan F. Chipman, Ph.D.
Office of Naval Research, Code 342
800 N. Quincy Street
Arlington, VA 22217-5660
phone:  703-696-4318
Fax:  703-696-1212

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Chatham [mailto:chatham at m-laboratories.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 7:55 AM
To: act-r-users at act-r.psy.cmu.edu
Subject: [ACT-R-users] computational basis of act-r

A couple of days ago, I talked to a researcher at Penn's Institute for
Research in Cognitive Science who believes ACT-R will be outdated in the

next couple of years.

He believed that the fundamental method of computation in the brain is
"oscillation" and that because ACT-R has no computational similarity to
the
neurological structure of the brain, it will always be a poor modeling
architecture.

I asked whether ACT-R might be expanded at the subsymbolic level to
include
this type of modeling.  Any thoughts here from the group, or in regards
the IRCS researcher's opinion?

-Chris.