[ACT-R-users] computational basis of act-r

Hulshof, C.D. (EDTE) C.D.Hulshof at edte.utwente.nl
Tue Jan 14 10:20:35 EST 2003

> The researcher in question had referred me to Oreilly and
> Munakata's 2000 text "Computational explorations in cognitive
> neuroscience"  Cambridge, MA MIT Press.

You may also find the work by Scott Kelso and his colleagues helpful for
understanding the 'dynamic' perspective of cognition.
[ Ref: Kelso, J.A.S. (1995). Dynamic Patterns: The Self-Organization of
Brain and Behavior. Cambridge: MIT Press ]
A term that is also used to refer to this viewpoint is 'synergetics', a
field that has been influenced by eminent physicists such as Prigogine.

In my opinion the dynamic viewpoint is interesting in its own right (they
study things from finger-tapping to ant-hills), but it deals with a level of
computation far removed from Act-R. Still, it may be interesting to study
whether it is possible to create models in Act-R that feature emergent
properties and 'control' parameters. Has any work been carried out in that
direction?

Casper Hulshof
University of Twente