[ACT-R-users] computational basis of act-r

Troy Kelley tkelley at arl.army.mil
Tue Jan 14 09:53:26 EST 2003

Luis,

I have a friend at Sandia National Labs who is doing some cognitive
modeling using oscillating systems theory.  I have forwarded this message
to him so perhaps he can help you.

I think what your friend is referring to is the neurological dynamics of
the brain.  The brain's neurons pulse and oscillate, forming rhythmic
patterns of neurological firings from which behavior emerges.
Connectionist have been moving toward "pulsed" neural nets and dynamic nets
which learn from synchronous rates of fire (see Lokendra Shastri's work).
However, ACT-R is a dynamic system as well.  Perhaps it doesn't using
synchronous oscillations, but I don't think this makes ACT-R obsolete
anytime soon.  One could argue that each cycle of ACT-R is equivalent to
one "pulse" of a neurological system.

   Troy

                      Luis Botelho
                      <luis.botelho at iscte.pt>   To:    act-r-users at act-r.psy.cmu.edu, Chris Chatham <chatham at m-laboratories.net>
                                                cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: [ACT-R-users] computational basis of act-r
                      act-r-users-admin at act-r.
                      psy.cmu.edu

                      01/14/2003 08:28 AM

Dear Chris, all

> A couple of days ago, I talked to a researcher at Penn's Institute for
> Research in Cognitive Science who believes ACT-R will be outdated in the
> next couple of years.
>
> He believed that the fundamental method of computation in the brain is
> "oscillation" and that because ACT-R has no computational similarity to
the
> neurological structure of the brain, it will always be a poor modeling
> architecture.

Can you explain or point to some source of information where I can learn
what "oscillation" means?

Thanks
-- Luis