[ACT-R-users] Post-Doc @ CogWorks Lab

Wayne Gray grayw at rpi.edu
Tue Jan 7 19:42:02 EST 2003

Greetings.

I am looking for a post-doc to join me at the new Cognitive Science
Dept at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. We have several
grants investigating cognitive processes in dynamic environments.

My intention is to make the CogWorks lab a center of expertise in the
ACT-R community. To this end, Dr. Michael Schoelles has recently
joined the lab as a Research Assistant Professor. Dr. Schoelle's
skills in software engineering and expertise in how ACT-R is
implemented add an important dimension to the training provided and
the opportunities for research. (Note that another member of the
ACT-R community, Prof. Frank Lee, is also a member of the Rensselaer
Cognitive Science Dept. Although Prof. Lee is not directly associate
with the CogWorks Lab, there is much interaction and sharing of ideas
between his group and mine.)

Resources at the CogWorks lab include G4 Macintoshes, an LC Eye
Tracker, and the usual array of printers, scanners, fast ethernet
connections, and software. In addition, over the years we have
developed a series of simulated task environments (such as Argus,
Nemo, and others) that have been written to facilitate the collection
of detailed empirical data from both human and simulated human users.

The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Cognitive Science, Computer
Science, or Psychology. The candidate also will have knowledge of
ACT-R and skill, or the desire and the ability to acquire skill, in
computational cognitive modeling, eye tracking, model tracing, as
well as in the design and analysis of empirical studies.

The appointment is for one year and may be renewed annually for a
total of 3-yrs. Applications will be reviewed immediately and will
continue until the position is filled. Start date is flexible and may
begin at any time between now and Sept 2003.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) is the oldest technological
university in the U.S. It is located in historic Troy NY, in the
Hudson River Valley, approximately 5 miles N of Albany, NY. It is
3-hrs south of Montreal, 2.5-hrs west of Boston, and 2-hrs north of
New York City. (Amtrak is installing a high-speed track that should
make the NYC to Albany trip even shorter.) The Albany area is notable
for many things, including its affordable housing, cultural events
(e.g., the famed Saratoga Performing Arts Center), and proximity to
outdoor recreation (e.g., hiking/skiing in the Adirondack, White,
Green, and Berkshire Mountains).

Feel free to contact me for more information.

Cheers,

Wayne
--
**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**
Wayne D. Gray; Professor of Cognitive Science

EMAIL: grayw at rpi.edu, Cell: 518-364-9114, Lab: 518-276-6067, Fax: 518-276-8268

for general information see:
http://www.rpi.edu/~grayw/

for On-Line publications see:
http://www.rpi.edu/~grayw/pubs/downloadable_pubs.htm

Work is infinite, time is finite, plan accordingly.

**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**Rensselaer**