[ACT-R-users] act-r production rules development

Robert West rlwest at ccs.carleton.ca
Fri Aug 29 20:10:23 EDT 2003

I would say that one of the most important issues is whether the task
is being driven by procedural or declarative memory. If it is
procedural memory then you wouldn't expect the experts to have direct
access to the rules they are following (i.e., because we do not have
conscious access to procedural memory). Instead their self reports
would be based on observing themselves and/or mentally simulating the
task and attempting to guess or reason out what the rules must be
(although people often mistake this for direct access to the rules). In
these cases it is a really good idea to observe them carefully yourself
as you will find there are often a lot of things they leave out. If it
is driven by declarative memory then they can often report the
knowledge they are using while doing the task and you can infer the
production rules they used to extract it. Generally speaking,
especially in experts, behavior directed just by production rules will
be very fast and automatic. So, I would say both observation studies
and verbal protocols are important

Robert

Robert L. West
Dept of Psychology