[ACT-R-users] Production compilation

Niels Taatgen taatgen at cmu.edu
Mon Aug 11 11:05:11 EDT 2003

Wolfgang,
It all depends on which ACT-R 5.0.6 you have. Probably you have the one
that is on the web right now, and it contains an update on how ACT-R
handles parameters for new productions (basically it was what I
proposed on last year's workshop). You can identify that you have the
new code if you have the file "prod-comp-update.lisp" in your ACT-R
folder. The change is described in the tutorial unit (unit 9), also
available on the website, and in last year's workshop proceedings.
What probably explains your low p value, is that in the new system p is
initially set to 0, and each time the production is created again, its
value is increased so that it converges to the p-value of the parent
rule (in your case  0.73).
Niels Taatgen
On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 08:26 AM,
Wolfgang.Schoppek at uni-bayreuth.de wrote:

> Is there a known bug in the current parameter calculation for new
> productions (e.g. in the function finish-up)? I get unreasonable low
> p's
> for new productions. Hand-calculations according to the tutorial
> result in
> p=0.73, ACT-R gives me p=0.09. I get that effect since I've updated my
> (old ACL) environment to ACT-R 5.0.6.
>
> -- Wolfgang Schoppek

Niels Taatgen - University of Groningen, Artificial Intelligence
Now at: Carnegie Mellon University, Psychology, BH 345E
web: http://www.ai.rug.nl/~niels     email: taatgen at cmu.edu
Telephone: +1 412-268-2815