[ACT-R-users] help with installation of ACT-R 5

Dan Bothell db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 16 15:21:35 EDT 2002

--On Wednesday, October 16, 2002 2:43 PM -0700 Sean Li <xyli at asu.edu> wrote:

> I am new to ACT-R. I am trying to install an ACT-R environment on my machine
> running Windows XP. I downloaded ACL6.2 free trial version and ACT-R5.
> However when I tried to load ACT-R5 as directed on the software page, ACL
> during compilation showed there was an error because some function call
> violates the heap limit. Did anyone meet this before? Could I use this ACL
> version and ACT-R? Thanks.

That's a problem that has been encountered before with the trial version of
ACL 6.2.  I have a newer version of the environment that will run in the ACL
6.2 trial version, but it runs extremely slowly because it doesn't compile
anything.  I can send the new version to you if you want, and it's going to be
on our software page soon if you want to wait.  However, my recommendation
would be to get the trial version of LispWorks (available at
http://www.lispworks.com) because the environment that you have will work with
that. [Note to other users that read this - the general announcement about the
environment working with LispWorks is going to be made shortly as well so take
this as an advance notice.]  The first time you load it into the trial version
of LispWorks it will hit the heap limit and terminate, but that's ok because
it saves the .fsl files that it generated in the process.  Then, the next and
subsequent times that you load the loader file it will successfully load the
environment.  The one thing that you will encounter is that there'll be a
warning about redefining the macro help which you can safely continue past by
clicking ok.

If you have any other problems installing the software please send mail
directly to me, db30 at andrew.cmu.edu, instead of the mailing list.

Dan