[ACT-R-users] PM-Question

Dan Bothell db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 11 09:38:12 EDT 2002

--On Friday, October 11, 2002 3:21 PM +0200 Wolfgang Schoppek
<Wolfgang.Schoppek at uni-bayreuth.de> wrote:

> So my question has changed: What's the best way of making an ACT-R/PM model
> recognize that the state of the world has changed?

That's what buffer stuffing is for.  The mechanism is described in the
tutorial in unit 3 (section 3.4 introduces it with respect to the
aural-location buffer) and unit 4 (section 4.2.1 describes its use with the
visual-location buffer) and the demo model for unit 4 uses it to detect screen
changes.  The basic mechanism is if a *-location buffer is empty when a change
occurs and there is an object after the change that matches the specification
to be stuffed then that objects location is placed into the corresponding
location buffer.  To use it, when you are "waiting" for a change you clear the
*-location buffer.  Then the production that you want to fire after the change
includes a test on there being something in that buffer, thus it can't fire
until after the stuff occurs.

Dan