[ACT-R-users] PM-Question

Dan Bothell db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 11 09:21:12 EDT 2002

--On Friday, October 11, 2002 2:15 PM +0200 Wolfgang Schoppek
<Wolfgang.Schoppek at uni-bayreuth.de> wrote:

> I'va a question concerning buffer stuffing: Does buffer stuffing
> autonomously command a movement of attention and subsequent encoding?

The issue here is not buffer stuffing, because that only affects the
*-location buffers - it does not impact attention.  What you are encountering
is the "blink response" of the vision module.  It's described in the ACT-R 5
tutorial in unit 2 (section 2.3).  Basically, if the vision module is
attending to a location when the screen changes there will be an automatic
reencoding of whatever is at that location.  If you clear the visual buffer
(essentially attend to nothing) it won't happen, but if your screen can change
rapidly that may not help and there are other measures that can be taken to
avoid it if you can't work around it.

Dan