Job Openings

Wayne Gray gray at gmu.edu
Sun Jun 24 11:46:26 EDT 2001

let me know. We see ICCM as an especially good time to discuss these
positions with foreign colleagues who might not otherwise be familiar
with GMU or Northern Virginia. (I will also be at Edinburgh for
CogSci-2001.)

Wayne

********************
Two job openings in Cognition at the Associate and Assistant Level.

Cognition. The Department of Psychology at George Mason University
anticipates two openings beginning in the Fall, 2002, one at the
assistant level and one at the associate level. The ideal candidates
will have a Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology or related area and
experience developing cognitive theory, preferably in the context of
real-world problems. We will consider applicants from a variety of
research specializations, such as computational cognitive modeling,
human computer interaction, human factors, psychology of science,
complex problem solving, higher level cognition, visual attention,
training (especially computer-based), human performance, and decision
making. A record of or strong potential for external funding is
expected, and evidence of teaching skills and multi-disciplinary
interests is highly desirable. Positions are targeted at the
assistant and associate professor levels; however senior applicants
with external funding may be considered.

George Mason University is located approximately 15 miles SW of
Washington, DC and is the newest university in the Virginia
Commonwealth system. The psychology department has Ph.D. programs in
applied cognitive psychology, industrial/organizational psychology,
developmental, and clinical psychology. The successful candidate will
join the core faculty of the Human Factors and Applied Cognitive
Program in the ARCH Lab. The ARCH Lab houses HFAC faculty, their
research facilities, and graduate students in a collaborative and
highly productive environment.

Applications will be evaluated starting on November 15, 2001, and
will continue until a suitable candidate is found. A vita, three
letters of recommendation, a brief statement of research and teaching
interests, and copies of relevant preprints/reprints should be sent
to: Cognitive Search Committee, George Mason University, MSN 3F5,
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444. For more information about the Human Factors
& Applied Cognitive Program, see our web page:

http://www.hfac.gmu.edu.

We encourage applications from women and minority candidates. George
Mason University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

If you have any questions about this position, please contact Wayne
Gray (gray at gmu.edu) or Deborah Boehm-Davis (dbdavis at gmu.edu).

Wayne D. Gray, Professor of Psychology
Program Director
HUMAN FACTORS & APPLIED COGNITIVE PROGRAM

SNAIL-MAIL ADDRESS (FedX et al)     VOICE: +1 (703) 993-1357
George Mason University               FAX: +1 (703) 993-1330
ARCH Lab/HFAC Program                         ************************
MSN 3f5                                            *   Work is infinite,  *
Fairfax, VA  22030-4444                       *   time is finite,    *
http://hfac.gmu.edu/~gray                     *   plan accordingly.  *