ACT-R Summer Internship at Parc

Peter Pirolli pirolli at parc.xerox.com
Mon Feb 5 16:03:22 EST 2001

WIF-ACT (Web Information Forager - ACT)

The User Interface Research Area at PARC has an ONR contract to develop
cognitive models (and cognitive engineering models) for information
foraging on the World Wide Web. We have completed the laboratory
infrastructure to record Web browser activity and eye tracking data, and
have a variety of data analysis tools for the automatic production of
problem behavior graphs and eye-to-Web content mappings.

We are looking for a summer intern who has significant experience with
ACT-R to help us in our ongoing work on (a) simulations that model-trace
data collected from people surfing the Web, and (b) an agent that surfs the
Web by direct interaction with a standard commercial Web browser.  The core
infrastructure for both these projects is already largely in place.

This internship will coincide with the regular Parc Summer Intern Program,
which offers a great experience for young researchers interested in finding
out more about industrial research in Silicon Valley.  For more info on our
group see http://www.parc.xerox.com/istl/groups/uir/default.html

If interested, please contact Peter Pirolli (pirolli at parc.xerox.com)
directly with a vita and statement of interests.  There is no need to apply
through the regular Summer Internship Program.