Explicitness of Declarative Chunks

Troy Kelley tkelley at arl.army.mil
Tue Dec 18 13:04:25 EST 2001

Good reference Frank, so Ericsson and Simon review some of the expert
elicitation methods and note that some of the research supports the view
that complementary methods can uncover some of the deeper more
proceduralized knowledge of experts, even though Ericsson and Simon still
would rather just use verbal protocol analysis elicitation method.  They
reference Burton et al. (1988) who compared four elicitation methods
(formal interview, protocol analysis, laddered grid and card sort) and
found that protocol analysis produced fewer of the rules given by domain
experts than the other three elicitation methods.  They also note that this
task was a perceptual task (recognition of rocks by geologists) - so, much
like riding a bike it is difficult to discuss perceptual tasks.  They also
reference Brown and Day (1983) who found that experts in English, "were
unable and unwilling to give precise rules for summarization during a
standard interview.  However, summarization rules could be readily
extracted from these subjects' thinking-aloud protocols, produced while
they were actually summarizing sample text".   Ericsson and Simon's general
viewpoint here is that concurrent verbal protocol analysis is a productive
methodology compared to other techniques, but they also suggest that given
the right knowledge elicitation process, experts will elicit more of their
underlying procedural knowledge.  So the distinction between what experts
are aware of, and what they are not aware of becomes more complex.

Ericsson and Simon go on to say that, "one kind of information that
subjects clearly cannot report, because it is not available in STM, are the
cues that allow them to recognize stimuli.  The result of the process of
recognition (i.e. the thing recognized) is heeded and can be reported, but
not the intermediate steps in the recognition process.  Inability to report
recognition cues must not be confused with failure to report contents of
STM."  But here again, the recognition of the stimulus is assumed or
implied.  But I am almost certain, that if asked, an expert could surely
offer details about the recognition of stimuli important stimuli.  So
again, is the recognition procedural?  I would say yes.  Is the expert
unaware of the rules governing the recognition of the procedural knowledge?
In at least some cases, depending on the task, I would say no.

Troy Kelley
Army Research Laboratory.

"Frank E. Ritter" <ritter at ist.psu.edu> on 12/14/2001 11:40:16 AM