Explicitness of Declarative Chunks

Troy Kelley tkelley at arl.army.mil
Fri Dec 14 10:25:24 EST 2001

Jerry,

First, it is good to see someone posting to the ACT-R list.  I think you
might want to look at the literature and see if any there are any
experiments which look at just what people are aware of as explicit
knowledge and what they are not aware of.  This seems to be a pretty good
question for a few experiments because, off the top of my head, I don't
think many people have looked at what "explicit knowledge" constitutes and
what it excludes.  There is some evidence, from knowledge elicitation while
developing expert systems, that experts are not completely aware of their
knowledge, but I don't think anyone has really looked at this in any great
detail, i.e. *exactly what* are they not aware of, and why they not aware
of some things, but aware of other bits of their knowledge.  Theoretically,
to carry this a step further, I have some trouble with the notion that
people are completely unaware of procedural knowledge.  Sure it is
difficult to explain how to ride a bike, but that is because it is a motor
skill, and motor skills might not translate into words as easily as
something more cognitive, like playing chess for example.  I think if you
force people to think about what they know, more and more of the knowlege
comes out.  I am not sure if the simple fact that some things are difficult
to talk about, and difficult to quantify, perhaps because someone has never
had to talk about some aspect of their expertise before, that this
necessarily means that this knowledge is somehow unavailable or not
explicit.

These are interesting questions though, and a good area for research.

Troy Kelley
Army Research Laboratory

Jerry.Ball at williams.af.mil on 12/13/2001 02:59:20 PM