Response competition as signal detection

Erik M. Altmann altmann at gmu.edu
Mon Mar 6 21:32:05 EST 2000

I believe it's a general finding that the more distractors or
response mappings there are, or the less time that old ones have had
to decay, the greater the time to retrieve the current target from
memory.  I'm replicating this in the serial attention paradigm, and
am able to track the effect in my ACT-R simulation.   However, I'd
like to get better handle on the mathematics of this, and would
appreciate any pointers.  I'd also appreciate pointers to data sets
that help to quantify the relationship between extra distractors or
response mappings and increased retrieval time for the target.

I've been approaching the problem conceptually in terms of signal
detection theory.  The target is the signal, and the distractors are
the noise.  Assuming logistic noise, multiple distractors can be
represented by a single (right-shifted) noise distribution.  The
retrieval threshold is simply beta, and the higher the retrieval
threshold the longer the retrieval time (assuming multiple retrieval
attempts per trial).

The mapping gets more complicated because the SDT noise distribution
shifts as a function of circumstances.  Retrieval errors have a
conditional probability, in that one error makes the next more
likely, in effect shifting the noise distribution rightwards.  Time
(decay) has the opposite effect, shifting the noise distribution
leftwards.  Error frequency also has an effect, by making the noise
distribution increasingly stable in terms of resistance to decay.

I'm specifically interested in finding (or approximating) the optimal
location of beta, given an estimate of the expected rightward shift
of the noise distribution due to a single retrieval error (say).
This optimal beta would seem to be to the right of the optimal beta
in a simple SDT analysis (where the distributions don't shift), but
that's about as far as I've gotten.

I'm also interested in whether anyone else has used ACT-R to address
how people adjust their retrieval threshold (beta) dynamically, say
This seems related to the question of how people maintain and adjust
speed-accuracy tradeoffs (e.g., Rabbitt & Vyas), but also to
production-utility computations.  In general it seems to be very much
a question of how the memory system adapts in the short term to
demands of the environment.

Erik.

Erik M. Altmann, PhD
Psychology 2E5